miercuri, 23 septembrie 2009

Our Man, Leonard Cohen



Haven't you heard of Leonard Cohen? Haven't you listened to his songs? Then all your musical experience equals with nothing. Because Leonard is indeed an experience. His voice scratches its way through to your core. Literally. The hoarsing sound of his voice moves you deep down to your soul after 10 seconds. Few can express the tortures and the longings of the human being in a more beautiful way than him. You can't be the same after listening "I'm Your Man" (which is one of the most beautiful and excruciating love declarations ever made) or "Dance Me to the End of Love" or "Suzanne".
At his 71 years, with his unmistakable black hat, I would dare to say that he looks even more attractive than he did in his youth. This summer, Leonard concerted in Bucharest for the second time. I regret missing that. Even more, after I found out that he would like to retire. On one hand, due to his shaky health, that made him faint during a concert in Barcelona, and on the other hand due to the fact that he is huge debt. Hearing that was one of the saddest things I have ever heard. But he can't do that.Because being Leonard is an irreplaceable phenomenon that can't disappear like that. It would leave a hole way too big to fill up.
If you listen carefully to his songs, you will realize that Leonard Cohen is a singing poet. He published his new book of poems called "The Book of Longing". Even though I don't think we will find it in Romania, I recommend anyone who has the chance to have it in his/her hands to never let it go.
Another thing: a beautiful documentary about Leonard Cohen: "I'm Your Man".
Here are two of the songs I mentioned before:




"My reputation as a ladies' man was a joke. It caused me to laugh bitterly through the 10 000 nights I spent alone."

Un comentariu: